- Raise awareness of Barbourne Water Tower, which was a part of Worcester’s historic water supply infrastructure.
- Landscape around the tower to control the encroachment of the surrounding overgrowth.
Barbourne Water Tower is located on the northern bank of Barbourne Brook in the western extension of Gheluvelt Park.
Barbourne Water Tower was completed after 1770 following an Act to improve the supply of water to Worcester.
The completion of the tower was also a response to the construction of Worcester Bridge in 1781. Its predecessor, which adjoined Newport Street a little further north, had an island below, which was the location of the water supply before the tower was erected. The demolition of the old bridge took the island with it; therefore, a new supply was required, hence why the tower was constructed.
The tower base survives including its supportive abutments. The base has been capped with modern bricks to prevent further deterioration.
- Produce an information board detailing the tower’s history and its relation to the present environment. The society has registered an interest for funding the board.
- Erect the information board near the path running along the south bank of Barbourne Brook.
- Landscape around the tower with a layer of gravel to control the encroachment of the surrounding overgrowth.