Create an online map that details every accessible industrial heritage site and all local history sites that are deemed significant by the society.
Please note, the society is predominately focused on industrial heritage; therefore, we need to limit what local history sites we include in the map that are not industrial. For example, one could add every single historical church to the map; however, that would not necessarily be appropriate; therefore, we could just add ecclesiastical sites of significant importance such as Worcester Cathedral and Malvern Priory.
Here is a protoype that demonstrates:
- How the map clusters sites together when zooming in and out
- The information provided by every marker when clicked
How to contribute
- You will require a Google account, this is commonly setup using a Gmail address.
- Join the project by sharing your Google account email using the form below, if you don’t have one, sign up.
- Access the Google Sheet ‘WIALHS – Map List‘ via Google Drive.
- Fill out the missing gaps in locations that already exist in the sheet.
- Add new locations, if you cannot fill out the other columns, leave it for others to complete.
- Watch the video tutorial below or contact us, if you have any questions.
Join the project
Complete the form below to share your Google account email with us. We will then share access to our online spreadsheet used to create the map.
Marker category guide
The following guidelines will help you select the most appropriate category marker for your sites.
|Bridge||All types of bridges excluding those used to carry a live or disused railway.|
|Ecclesiastical||Churches, cathedrals, priories, monasteries etc.|
|Engine House||Buildings that house a type of engine typically used for pumping or blowing.|
|Grave||Notable people of Worcestershire, especially industrialists.|
|Mill||All types of mills.|
|Museum||Living and conventional museums.|
|Production||All forms of production such as factories and ironworks excluding mills.|
|Railway||Viaducts, railway bridges, heritage lines, railway tunnels, and disused lines.|
|Utility||Power stations, waterworks, gasworks, dams, and reservoirs.|
|Waterway||Canals, aqueducts, lock flights, canal tunnels, and rivers.|